In this issue
- Gruff v6.0 Now Available
- Webcast - "Enriching the Property Graph with Relationship Objects" - November 18 - 10 AM Pacific
- CIOReview - AllegroGraph Named as Leading Database Solution
- SmartData Conference Video - "Healthcare Analytics with a Smart Data Lake"
- Bloor Research Positions AllegroGraph as a "Champion"
- Recent Articles about Franz - AllegroGraph
- Recorded Webcast: Maximizing New Multi-dimensional Indexing for Complex Location Aware Applications with AllegroGraph
- Allegro CL 10 - Meeting Demand for High Performance AI Applications
- Follow us on Google Plus, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube
- Brief Customer and News Highlights
#Gruff v6.0 Now Available
New Features Include:
- New Screen Layout Options
- You can now quickly invoke certain commands by clicking the corners of nodes in the graph view. Small icons will appear for the commands to indicate when you're in the right spot. You can right-click a corner to globally assign a different command to that corner. See the new "Visual Graph Options | Node Corner Clicks" child menu.
- For advanced users who are comfortable writing lisp code, there is a new view for evaluating lisp expressions to control Gruff programmatically. See View | Lisp Evaluation View.
- Small improvements and fixes have been made to the new tree layout algorithm.
- "Link | Display Linked Nodes from an Outline" (formerly "from a Tree") now positions its dialog beside the selected node. You can cancel the dialog quickly by moving the mouse cursor out of the dialog, and say OK quickly by right-clicking anywhere in the dialog.
- The new command "Select | Reselect a Recent Node" lets you choose a recently-selected node from a pop-up menu to reselect it. This can be handy for then applying a command to it with a keyboard shortcut.
- The query view's "Create Visual Graph" button finds more triples to display in queries that have UNION or OPTIONAL groups, in the default mode where "Query Options | Include More Triples in Visual Graphs" is not enabled.
- Zooming with the mouse (when "Visual Graph Options | Layout Options | Mouse Wheel Zooms" is enabled) will now center the zooming around the mouse cursor position.
- A few commands on the File menu have been moved onto a new Miscellaneous child menu.
- When using "Link | Display a Linked Node from Menus" and choosing the All choice when selecting the predicate, triples for the rdfs:label predicate (or any custom label predicates) will no longer be added to the display, because the label is shown on the node itself already.
- On the old 3.3 version of AllegroGraph, the store-opening dialog no longer has widgets for specifying a remote host and a port, because Gruff on AG 3.3 is normally used only with the server that's built into Gruff, and so those widgets were more confusing than useful.
- When sorting query results by one of the columns, numeric values will now be sorted numerically rather than alphanumerically like other values.
For additional information, see the Gruff Documentation
Webcast - "Enriching the Property Graph with Relationship Objects" - November 18 - 10 AM Pacific
In many graph applications we find the link between two nodes is actually a complex object in itself. Property Graph Databases (i.e. Neo4j) try to solve this by putting attribute/values on the edges between nodes but unfortunately this is far too limited as the values cannot be nodes themselves.
Semantic Graph Databases solve this by creating 'Relationship Objects' between nodes. In our presentation we will describe four use cases where the Property Graphҳ shortcomings were solved by using Relationship Objects. An online banking application, a fraud detection application for a European tax office, a machine learning application in healthcare and the CrunchBase investment database.
Working with these 'Relationship Objects' is very efficient because we employed a new 'Super Graph' pattern that summarizes connections between nodes in such a way that even in graphs with large branching factors we still can perform super fast search.
Another advantage of the relationship objects is that it makes it far more straightforward to interactively explore large graph space in an aesthetically pleasing way in Gruff, Franz's advanced graph visualization tool.
Register for this webcast here.
CIOReview - AllegroGraph Named as Leading Database Solution
Franz, Inc., the leading supplier of Semantic Graph Database technology technology has been named CIOReview Magazine's Top 20 Most Promising Database Technology Solution providers. The award comes on the heals of Franz's recent announcement of the first Semantic Data Lake (SDL) for Healthcare, which was created in collaboration with Montefiore Medical Center (the eighth largest hospital group in the U.S.), Intel, Cloudera and Cisco. The SDL for Healthcare is a scalable and extensible Healthcare platform designed for Accountable Care and Personalized Medicine initiatives...
To read more, see here
SmartData Conference Video - "Healthcare Analytics with a Smart Data Lake"
Montefiore Medical Center in collaboration with Franz, Intel, Cloudera and Cisco created a scalable and extensible Learning Healthcare System platform for accountable care and precision medicine initiatives. We call the underlying Hadoop based big data platform a "Semantic Data Lake" (SDL).
The SDL integrates complex information and analytic requirements including:
- Basic science
- Wellness research data
The SDL links and fuses domain specific models (ontologies), biomedical terminologies and taxonomy systems, and other contextual metadata with ERP data, Electronic Medical Records, and medical device data in massive volumes. The SDL provides a uniform, semantically integrated, self-descriptive information repository based on graph representations of multi-source, heterogeneous data (including free text clinical narratives). We expect to grow this platform to 4 trillion edges at the end of 2015.
Montefiore uses this platform for scalable knowledge-based analytics for classification, pattern recognition, predictive modeling, and simulations. We will demonstrate how we can create smart applications for decision support, fraud detection, risk management, personalized care management, signal detection and notifications.
See here to watch the presentation video.
Note: Registration is required to gain access to the conference videos.
Bloor Research Positions AllegroGraph as a "Champion"
Franz, Inc., the leading supplier of Semantic Graph Database technology, announced its flagship product, AllegroGraph, has been named a Champion by Bloor Research in its recent Graph Database Market Update report. AllegroGraph is a high performance Semantic Graph Database that enables analytics by leveraging the W3C industry standards. Graph databases are skyrocketing in popularity and have grown by 400% in the past two years, according to a recent DBMS ranking by DB-Engines...
Recent Articles about Franz - AllegroGraph
Recorded Webcast: Maximizing New Multi-dimensional Indexing for Complex Location Aware Applications with AllegroGraph v5.0
With the recent release of AllegroGraph v5.0's unique multi-dimensional indexing capabilities, Data Scientists are better able to answer complex, real world questions which today require the fusion of data in many dimensions.
AllegroGraph was the first Graph Database to offer advanced temporal and geospatial libraries. With this latest release, AllegroGraph again leads the industry in advanced event based data processing for customers in healthcare, telecom, agriculture, financial and intelligence applications. Although the industries are diverse, these AllegroGraph customers are driven by a common need to better answer complex, real world questions which today require the fusion of data in many dimensions.
Join us for this webcast to learn more about optimizing multidimensional queries like the following:
|Which geographic areas with an altitude greater than 500m and less than 2500m had a reduction in crop yield in August and which also had high humidity for at least 5 consecutive days in the month of April.|
To watch this webinar, see here.
Allegro CL 10 - Meeting Demand for High Performance AI Applications
October 7, 2015 - Franz Inc., an early innovator in Artificial Intelligence (AI) and leading supplier of Common Lisp (CL) development tools and Semantic Graph Database technology, today announced Allegro CL 10, which includes key performance enhancements now available within the most effective system for developing and deploying applications to solve the problems in the field of Artificial Intelligence. "Demand for faster, more intelligent and scalable applications is increasing with the Big Data onslaught that is impacting applications in traditional AI industries like National Defense, but also in Life Sciences, Manufacturing and Financial Analytics," said Dr. Jans Aasman, CEO of Franz Inc.
To read the full press release, see here.
Follow us on Google Plus, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube
Brief Customer and News Highlights
We are Hiring! See here
2015 HiMSS Conference, Intel's Healthcare Panel, Parsa Mirhaji, MD, PhD, the Director of Clinical Research Informatics at the Montefiore Medical Center discusses their Semantic Data Lake and technical partnerships with Intel and Franz Inc. and Intel - Cisco presenting Franz's Semantic Data Lake Analytics at HIMSS 2015
Big Data Quarterly article: How Semantics Can Take Graph Databases to New Levels The recent increase in the popularity of property graph databases is well-founded, as they fulfill a real need. But as usage continues to ramp up, the limitations of traditional property graph systems can become a roadblock. Read the full article here.
Bloor Research Positions AllegroGraph as a "Champion". Click on the image to enlarge.
Franz was named as one of 21 NoSQL Innovators to Look for in 2020, in a post on The Wikibon technology research and advisory website because of its flagship RDF and Graph Database product, AllegroGraph.
Gartner Names Semantic Technologies To Its Top Technology Trends Impacting Information Infrastructure in 2013. Semantic technologies have made it to Gartner's list of the top technology trends that will impact information infrastructure this year. Read the full article here.
Graph databases, like AllegroGraph, are one of the new technologies encouraging a rapid re-thinking of the analytics landscape. By tracking relationships - in a network of people, organizations, events and data - and applying reasoning (inference) to the data and connections, powerful new answers and insights are enabled...
Wolters Kluwer Presentation: "How does Linked Open Data change the Publishing Landscape?"
Recorded Webcast - Haystax presents: Advanced Analytic Techniques for Insider Threat Detection
The Malaysian State of Sabah's Biodiversity Center's (SaBC) is using AllegroGraph to run the Sabah Biodiversity Integrated Information System (SaBIIS) AllegroGraph is the centralized RDF database used to integrate and store biodiversity data coming from more than 20 organizations that collect specimen data in different formats and schemas.
Read the press release here.
KRSTE.my (Knowledge Resource for Science and Technology Excellence, Malaysia) is an initiative, based on AllegroGraph, by MOSTI and spearheaded by MASTIC to address science and technology issues and challenges faced by the community, the ministry and the country. KRSTE.my is designed to be a Single Point Access Facilities (SPAF) providing intelligent collaborative knowledge management and learning services platform on Science and Technology and Innovation. More info here.
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston presentation - Use of Natural Language Processing in Enterprise Terminology Development
Information Management article - Why Data Lakes Require Semantics
Inside Analysis article - Events that Change the World
Datanami article - Multi-Dimensional Graph Data Opens the Door to New Applications
Datanami article - Hadoop, Triple Stores, and the Semantic Data Lake
Recorded past Semantic Technologies Webinars: Recorded Webinars